Friday, May 9, 2014

3 days until it all begins

I am beyond excited for this day to come. I have a feeling I won't be able to get any sleep at all the night before. I feel like I've hit a wall with my self-education and can't wait to get that full immersion to propel my learning. I've been really focusing heavily on the fundamentals and getting a good amount of familiarity with the programming languages we'll be using.

I have foundations in: HTML, CSS, MAMP, Twitter Bootstrap, Parallax Scrolling, Node.js, Javascript, JQuery, PostgreSQL, Ruby on Rails, and wire-framing.

I did find something interesting on Coding Dojo's new website. They have a new statistic stating that 91% of Black-Belt certified graduates get a job within one month of graduating. That's pretty impressive but I know that they probably are including those that get internships and those that are hired by the school. Either way, I feel like I'm in pretty good hands with those stats. Oh and I'm pretty sure there are many students that don't get a black-belt when they graduate. Sounds like a good question to ask on the first day

FYI, Coding dojo uses the belt system in which the more knowledge you have, the higher belt you receive, with each belt having a test. I heard these tests can take hours to complete.

I really do like the idea of becoming an instructor for coding. I already teach some of my friends as well as one that's going to start bootcamp with me. It's a rewarding feeling when I hear the lightbulb go off in their head and they say "Ah-ha!".

Other than that, I can't wait to start. I've purchased headphones, Sennheiser 280 pro. Apparently it's the go-to headphones on a budget and its really true. They sound amazing and they were only like 60 bucks. Definitely recommend.

Until this day arrives I'm just going to be working on some algorithms that are in "Cracking the Coding Interview" by Gayle Laakman McDowell. Which is pretty much a book that preps you for coding interviews that are common amongst big companies like Google, Yahoo, and Amazon. I'm sure some smaller companies use them as well. The bad part is that they expect you to code in C++ or Java, which I am not comfortable with.

Well I better get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment