Friday, May 23, 2014

Day 10: MongoBD, jQuery Mobile, and Yellow Belt Exam

Alrighty so in the morning before the lecture I continued my learning about noSQL databases. With the lack of structure that MongoDB has, often times you have to specify the relationship between the tables so that they'll connect. I went through an online tutorial on how to install and use MongoDB and for the most part they do a good job on teaching you the basics. Michael Choi just wanted us to explore what a NoSQL database is like so there wasn't really much structure to my learning.



Here is a screenshot of my making queries and adding data to the terminal (just the usual tutorial stuff). I can understand if this stuff is a little bland but databases aren't very flashy in general... unless you're the type of person that thinks data is sexy.


In the morning lecture Michael talked about Mobile design and the types of things that you have to consider when designing a web application for mobile. First and foremost, did you guys know that there is a 300ms delay before your phone even begins to make a request to the proper server? 300ms doesn't seem like a lot of time but we humans have become so accustomed to seeing this quicker so that delay can really make or break an application. There are two options for fixing this delay. One is the make a native application. Android is written in Java and iOS is written in Objective-C. The problem is if you want to make your application available in all platforms, you have to write it for each platform.

Another solution is to write a single-page application in HTML, CSS, and Javascript and do the proper things necessary to make it available as a mobile app.



jQuery Mobile a framework that makes it easier for an HTML/CSS/Javascript application to be deployed. I haven't really worked out all the details of it. But it's definitely something that I'll be working on tonight and throughout the weekend. My goal is to make a functional application by the end of this weekend. I'm thinking of doing something simple like a stopwatch app for interval training.


After some more self-paced learning, we had our yellow belt exam in which we were tested on our HTML and CSS skills. We don't get our results until Monday but I felt pretty confident about everything (of course we're only getting started). We were allotted about 4 hours and it took me about 3 hours to finish. The test kind of through me by surprise because it was more difficult than I expected. Nonetheless it's the weekend now and time to give my mind a break. Michael was telling each student to get plenty of rest this weekend because starting next week is when the real stuff starts. We're going to be learning procedural PHP and how to connect it to the database and the front end. We'll be building our first fully functional app in which we built every component. Exciting times to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment