Saturday, June 7, 2014

Week 4 weekend: More MVC and ORM

So basically I can't get enough of coding. I've spent about 70 hours this week at the Dojo and what do I want to do on a Sunny Saturday afternoon? Code.

Today I parked myself at a cafe and worked on some more assignments. But instead of running full-octane like I usually do at the Dojo, I took a more relaxed approach. As much as coding can be stressful, it can also be extremely therapeutic if you have the right mindset.

All day I was just taking my time and working through another MVC/ORM assignment. I'm loving the repetition. With each subsequent assignment I understand the concepts more and more. I'll definitely be ready for the Red Belt assignment when it happens next Friday if I keep building more and more apps with MVC.

As I'm going through these assignments, I actually became quite impressed at how quickly I'm able to build the HTML and CSS. Doing front-end development constantly for every assignment for 4 weeks straight really make you fast and accurate at making the code look exactly like how you want it to look. Now most of my time is figuring out how the models, views, and controllers all talk to each other and how to use ORM to talk to the database.

Here's a little example of the assignment I worked on today. We have to build this application based on the wireframe and add all necessary features.





Now I'm off to meet up with some classmates. We're doing a mini hackathon amongst ourselves to build an application for the Raspberry Pi. One of the guys has experience with Agile Project Management so he's gonna be the main organizer. I have no idea how these things work but it's time to learn! I do hope to participate in events like Startup Weekend so I better get my feet wet!


No comments:

Post a Comment