Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Day 43: Rails (Controllers)

Now we're on to the Controllers and Views portion of Rails.


Here's the "smoke page" to let you know that the Ruby on Rails server is running and you're clear to start making your application.


One of the best parts about Rails is how easy it is to install dependencies using 'gems'. I am easily able to install Twitter bootstrap and make it available to all the view files.

The type of applications that we make as part of our assignments are similar to the ones we've done in other languages but this just time we're doing them in Rails. It really makes you think that languages are just different ways of accomplishing the same thing. Although each language and framework does have their strengths and weakness, they are much more similar than different.

I'm really loving how I am understanding what exactly is going on when Rails is generating a model, view, and controller and how the routing rules dictate how the application is run. It's probably the best framework to build a prototype because of how fast it is. You really do save a lot of code because of how Rails does a lot of connecting and rendering for you. You have the follow the "Rails Way" else all the functionality doesn't work at all!

A lot of my classmates as well as I are definitely feeling burned out. I try my best to take periodic naps and breaks and remind myself of why I embarked on this journey in the first place. This bootcamp-style learning was never meant to be easy, but in the midst of it it's often difficult to keep the drive strong. Definitely not for the weak-hearted!

No comments:

Post a Comment